Sherman Hospital is pleased to announce its designation as a Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care by BlueCross BlueShield of Illinois for the fourth straight year. The purpose of the Blue Distinction program is to help consumers find healthcare facilities that have demonstrated better overall outcomes in the delivery of specialty cardiac care.
Sherman received this designation for meeting stringent clinical criteria, developed in collaboration with expert physicians’ and medical organizations’ recommendations, including the American College of Cardiology (ACC) and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS). Criteria are divided into five categories: patient results, treatment expertise, procedure volume, structure, and process. Sherman Hospital met a number of standard criteria, including:
- An established cardiac care program, performing required annual volumes for certain procedures
- Appropriate experience of its cardiac team, including sub-specialty board certification for interventional cardiologists and cardiac surgeons
- An established acute care inpatient facility, including intensive care, emergency and a full range of cardiac services
- Full accreditation by The Joint Commission, Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program (HFAP) or national equivalent
- Low overall complication and mortality rates
- A comprehensive quality management program
Sherman Hospital‘s full range of cardiac care services include inpatient cardiac care, cardiac rehabilitation, cardiac catheterization and cardiac surgery.
“We are honored to receive this designation from BlueCross Blue Shield of Illinois, as it highlights our outstanding performance in cardiac care,” says Ian Jones, MD, Vice President of Clinical Quality. “This speaks to the experience of our cardiac team, from doctors and surgeons to our cardiac nurses.”
Since performing the first open heart surgery at an Illinois community hospital in 1972, Sherman remains the leader in Cardiac care in the region.For more information, please contact Michelle Howe, Marketing Specialist, Sherman Health, 847-429-8427, Michelle.Howe@ShermanHospital.org.